– Jackie Su, Director of Product Marketing for HP Connected Backup and LiveVault, says:
Yesterday I was talking with an overworked I.T. friend of mine who commented on the prevalence of “Top 7 Best…” articles on the web. I agreed that there is way too many, so I proceeded to try to help him with his workload by giving him my Top 6 Best reasons to make Hybrid Cloud part of his Data Protection strategy.
Most everyone knows the demand for data storage is exploding, which is driving up costs, amplifying the risks of data loss or exposure, and complicating plans for disaster recovery.
With the Disk-to-Cloud strategy (D2C), you back up your data to a cloud provider directly. With the Disk-to-Disk-to-Cloud(D2D2C, i.e. Hybrid-cloud) strategy, you back up your data to a local appliance first, and make the cloud provider your second site. The difference is that the Hybrid-cloud strategy can offer better performance for recovering bulk data from a local appliance, which can be very useful if you have limited bandwidth.
Now here are those Top 6 reasons I promised.
- Support Remote and Branch Offices: With a professional cloud-based data protection service, you can improve your support and reduce the burdens of managing the complex data protection process for satellite offices. Now, here is the catch… it’s important to select a solution that allows you to protect and manage both physical and virtual machines within one web portal interface. It’s also essential to make sure the solution provides you the ability to extend data protection from on-premises to the cloud with the same vendor, and through common agent architecture. This will dramatically reduce your costs, simplify backup management processes and eliminate the need to have backup admins trained for multiple products to protect your environment.
- Improve Disaster Recovery: Storing data remotely with a trusted cloud-storage service provider automatically gives you an off-site copy of your data.
- Boost Recovery Time: With the hybrid-cloud approach, you get faster, local restores through the onsite appliance, and improve your recovery times
- Guaranteed Service: Instead of assuming the liability of your in-house service, you can hold the service provider accountable for service-level deliverables.
- Simpler Budgeting with Predictable Cost: You can avoid the unpredictable – and often hidden – costs of in-house storage by selecting a cloud service provider who offers a predictable rate that makes your budgeting simpler.
- Always Up-to-date Technologies: Cloud service providers offer the latest versions and upgrades in storage, security, and data transfer technology, without taxing your own IT resources.
Once I listed my Top 6 reason, can you believe it, my friend begged me for 7th reason. Here it is.
- Strengthen Security! A well-managed cloud service means that the service provider proactively monitors and tests for all potential vulnerabilities and detects all possible threats.
Now how good is that?